This position reports to the Research Program Manager and provides support and assistance to facilitate research activities on the Poultry Research Unit on South Farm at Mississippi State University.
Salary Grade: 10
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
The Department of Poultry Science Department is one of six stand-alone poultry science departments in the country and is housed in a new state of the art building accompanied by a 12-acre research farm adjacent to the main campus. Facilities include a feed mill, hatchery, layer facility, numerous broiler research houses, a BSL-2 live bird research facility, and a processing plant. Also, two commercial houses are located on site. More information is available at the departmental website at http://www.poultry.msstate.edu
Anticipated Appointment Date:
January 1, 2024.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assist professors, staff and/or students with research and teaching projects at the farm, including but not limited to setting up pens, weighing birds, catching birds for sampling or processing, working in the processing plant, bagging feed, moving feed to USDA, unloading pallets of feed.
2. Animal care (feeding, cleaning, preparation of buildings for receipt of chicks, picking up mortality) in research and tunnel houses; assist when tunnel house birds are sold (including potentially occasional night shifts) and responding to controller alarms from the tunnel houses.
3. General maintenance on buildings, equipment, and grounds, to include but not limited to:
a. Cleaning and servicing vehicles and equipment
b. Replacing feed motors (requires minor electrical)
c. Plumbing water lines
d. Carpentry tasks, when needed
e. Mowing, outdoor maintenance, when needed
f. Decaking the tunnel houses
4. Other duties as assigned.
Education: High School diploma
Experience: Six months of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified AND six months of general experience.
Must have valid driver’s license
Prior experience in poultry.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Ability to work in extreme weather conditions.
Ability to follow instructions.
Ability to work with others.
Knowledge of general maintenance.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
1. Ability to work in extreme weather conditions.
2. Requires heavy physical work; heavy lifting, pushing, or pulling required of objects up to 50 pounds.
3. Involves exposure to dust and chicken dander.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
All applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu by submitting: the completed online
application, submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references.
November 27, 2023 until filled.
Position is contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.