To lead and support a variety of routine and specialized Extension and research duties focused on a combination of coastal conservation and restoration, environmental monitoring, environmental stewardship, and environmental education.
Salary Grade: 13
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
This position will be housed in the Coastal Research and Extension Center in Biloxi, MS.
Area of Specialization:
Coastal conservation and restoration, community engagement and outreach, native plants
Anticipated Appointment Date:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The selected applicant will become part of the Coastal Conservation and Restoration Program (CCR) and will be involved with a variety of program activities. The primary activities for the selected applicant are outlined below but could include any activities associated with the Coastal Conservation and Restoration Program.
The primary responsibilities of the selected applicant will be to lead the development, implementation, and evaluation of a community engagement program focused on the growing of native marsh plants in collaboration with new and underserved producers and students.
These duties will include activities such as, but not limited to:
* Providing project management, recruiting and maintaining a network of participants and aiding in the establishment and maintenance of demonstration nursery sites to grow native marsh plants and host training activities;
* Organizing routine meetings with participants, partners, and team members;
* Leading and assisting with workshops for project participants;
* Leading and assisting with the preparation and dissemination of outreach materials, Extension publications, and technical reports;
* Developing, organizing, and implementing research projects and research symposia;
* Applying for and managing extramural funding;
* Collecting, interpreting, and reporting data;
* Performing research activities, such as literature reviews and sample collection/processing;
* Other duties as assigned
Bachelor's degree in relevant field.
Rank and salary are commensurate with education and experience.
* Master's degree in relevant field;
* Two years of relevant experience, preferably in community engagement and/or the growing of native plants;
* Grant writing;
* Extension, applied research, outreach, education, and project management experience;
* Familiarity with coastal, marine, and estuarine ecosystems and associated field research.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Must have reliable personal transportation, a valid driver’s license, and ability to travel often to sites along coastal MS and AL.
* Ability to develop and maintain diverse and robust partnerships;
* Typing and computer skills (word processing and spreadsheets);
* Highly flexible: ability to adapt to a rapidly changing schedule;
* Ability to juggle multiple tasks and prioritize multiple demands;
* Strong oral and written communication skills;
* Knowledge and skills in using Microsoft Office Suites especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint; knowledge and skills in document/project management/sharing platforms (e.g. Google Drive, Basecamp, etc.);
* Ability to apply for, secure, and manage extramural funding.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
* Ability to work in extreme weather conditions;
* Ability to work long hours;
* Requires substantial routine travel
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
All applicants must apply online at www.jobs.msstate.edu. Any social security numbers included on requested transcripts should be redacted prior to submitting online.
January 2, 2024 until filled.
Position is contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.