Job no: 497695
Position type: Full-Time 12-Month
Department: 320100 - General Library
Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS
Position Open Date:
The University Libraries provide their communities of users an ongoing, creative and technologically advanced program.
Area of Specialization:
Digital Archivist, Digital Preservation and Access Unit
Anticipated Appointment Date:
1 Dec 2018
Tenure Track Status:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following examples are intended as illustrations only of the various types of duties assigned in positions allocated to this classification.
- Serve as the Coordinator of the Digital Preservation and Access Unit
- Coordinate the planning, prioritization, implementation and evaluation of all library digitization projects
- Research, design, document and carryout policies, procedures and standards associated with the digital library initiatives adhering to the latest Metadata, Scanning and Archival Standards as recommended by the Library of Congress, Digital Library Federation and NISO;
- Work with the Digital Initiatives/Web Servers to maintain and enhance the ContentDM Digital Media Archive server and the Institutional Repository as well as lead the exploration/implementation of new digital asset management systems;
- Responsible for the management and long-terms storage of the digital surrogates;
- Coordinate activities and projects with the Mississippi Digital Library, ASERL Deeply Rooted Project and other related digital preservation and access networks;
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- ALA-accredited MLS with two or more years work experience in the field of digital preservation, digital libraries, and digital repositories
- Knowledge of the life cycle management of digital assets; rights management, scanning and OCR technologies and techniques;
- Experience with digital repository management systems such as DSpace, ContentDM, Omeka, Hydra, Fedora.
- Working knowledge of a variety of metadata standards used in digital collections (e.g., Dublin Core, EAD, MODS, METS, VRA Core,);
- Project management and supervisory experience and
- Strong interpersonal communication, organizational, and problem-solving skills;
ABDs or degree pending considered (all but DISS):
Additional graduate degree.
Documented record of professional publication and presentation.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must possess a working knowledge and understanding of best practices for the management/development of digital libraries and handling/digitizing archival material as recommended by the Library of Congress, Digital Library Federation, and NISO
- Must have an advanced working knowledge of digitization of archival materials including use of flat-bed and slide scanners
- Must be a self-directed individual who can determine work assignments based on a set of established practices;
- Must possess knowledge of and experience with Metadata creation and Standards, scanning for online derivative creation and archival storage;
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills;
- Ability to analyze information and communicate that information effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to work harmoniously with colleagues as well as with faculty, staff and students in a busy, changing environment.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu and attach a cover letter and curriculum vitae.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend