Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities\:
1. Data Monitoring and Assessment
a. Gather oceanographic data (e.g. marine debris) from different resources
b. Identify, coordinate, and correspond with data contributors to develop oceanographic data archives and suitability criteria for the long term data record.
c. Process and convert oceanographic data from different sources to a uniform format (e.g. netCDF) for data distribution and subsetting.
d. Work with partners to develop quality control/quality assurance procedures.
2. Provide Support to Oceanographic Databases Development:
a. Assist with the development of the NCEI’s Global Ocean Current Database (GOCD) for dissemination to partners and the public.
b. Process new ocean current data submitted to NCEI and incorporate the data into GOCD.
c. Improve quality monitoring of ocean currents data
d. Assist with incorporation of microplastics data into the NCEI Thermosalinograph (TSG) Database.
The position will be located at the Mississippi State University Science and Technology Center at the Stennis Space Center, MS.
US Citizen or Permanent Residency.
Ability to receive Department of Commerce moderate risk clearance.
1. Beginning with a Bachelor’s degree: A professional (support/service) employee with a bachelors can begin work at Associate I; To begin at Associate II, one must meet the above requirements, have a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience and the equivalent to a master’s degree; To begin at Associate III, one must meet the above requirements, have a minimum of 6 years of relevant experience and the equivalent to a master’s degree.
2. Beginning with a Master’s degree: A professional (support/service) employee with a master’s degree and a minimum of 1 year of relevant experience and demonstrated competency can begin work at Associate II; To begin at Associate III, one must have a master’s degree and a minimum of 3 years of experience; To begin at Senior Associate, one must have a master’s degree and a minimum of 6 years of experience.
3. Beginning with a Doctoral degree: A professional (support/service) employee with a doctorate degree with 2 years of relevant experience and demonstrated competence can begin work at Associate III; To begin at the Senior Associate, one must have a doctorate degree and a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience.
Existing Department of Commerce moderate risk clearance.
Experience preparing scientific datasets and documentation, and facilitation of standards and metadata.
B.S., M.S. or Ph.D. in Marine Science or related field.
Computer literate and experienced with common word processing, database, and office applications.
Knowledge of Linux and proficient in Python, Matlab, R or other similar languages.
Familiar with the common data model format netCDF and associated tools.
Ability to write professional reports and making oral presentations.
Position contingent upon funding availability.
Instructions for Applying:
Apply online by submitting a cover letter, resume, and a copy of your transcript(s). Any social security numbers included on requested transcripts should be redacted prior to submitting online. For additional information, contact Dr. Just Cebrian (firstname.lastname@example.org) at 228-688-4812 or Dr. Zhankun Wang (email@example.com).
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement\:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.