Salary Grade/Minimum Salary:
Throughout its history, Mississippi State University-Extension (MSU-ES) has demonstrated a deep and abiding commitment to programs that directly impact young children and their families. In the past decade, MSU-ES has distinguished itself as Mississippi’s premier infrastructural support of high-quality early childhood education.
Area of Specialization:
MSU - Extension Head Start Programs, Harrison County
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Nutritious Cooking: Prepares nutritious meals that take into consideration children’s various cultures and individual nutritional needs.
• Understands and uses child nutritional needs and age-specific portion sizes to prepare
meals in accordance with USDA, Head Start, and CACFP guidelines
• Understands and strictly adheres to health, safety, food handling, and sanitation
requirements before, during and after meal preparation.
• Follows menu guidelines and adjusts when necessary due to the availability of menu items or an individual child’s needs.
• Plan and participate in nutritious cooking activities with children.
The Cook’s responsibilities chiefly fall within the following core functions, although s/he may perform other tasks as needed:
• Prepare assigned menu and participate in family-style meals with children, volunteers, and staff.
• Work in conjunction with the Site Supervisor and Faculty to monitor family style dining in
classrooms and document as appropriate.
• Maintain food service record-keeping and reporting as directed by supervisor.
• Conduct weekly inventory of food and supplies.
• Complete weekly food and supplies order sheets and fax to Headquarters.
• Check food deliveries for accuracy and for good quality. Notify Headquarters when an item is missing or of poor quality.
• Store food and supplies properly. Date all canned, boxed and bagged foods. Use the
FIFO method of inventory.
• Monitor and maintain proper food temperatures.
• Monitor and maintain proper temperatures of all refrigerator and freezers.
• Maintain appropriate cleanliness of all kitchen materials and supplies as required.
• Maintain list and be aware of center food allergies and concerns. Prepare alternate menu items as needed for the affected children.
• Assist in delivery of food to classrooms and of dirty dishes from the classroom.
• Participates in assigned meetings, events and training as required.
• Performs any and all other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to carry out each essential duty in a satisfactory manner. The job specifications listed below are representative of the education and experience as well as the knowledge, skill and/or ability (KSAs) required.
• Physical exam and background checks are required for this position.
• Travel required locally or long-distance up to 10% of the time for work-related meetings
• Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
• High School diploma or equivalent and ServSafe Certification
• Experience in purchasing and preparing culturally diverse foods for groups. Knowledge
of early childhood nutrition.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ability to interact effectively with people from diverse backgrounds.
• Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
• Demonstrated computer literacy skills, using MS Office applications and other basic data
systems including internet navigation.
• Must be honest, dependable and able to meet deadlines.
• Self-motivated and able to work independently.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• Ability to stand, walk, and bend periodically.
• Ability to engage in repetitive movement of wrists, hands, and fingers – typing and/or
• Ability to work frequently at close visual range (i.e. preparing and analyzing data and
figures, accounting, transcription, computer terminal, extensive reading).
• Ability to receive and respond to oral communication.
• Ability to exert up to 50 pounds of force to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
• Noise level in the work environment is moderate to occasionally loud (examples: business
office with computers and printers, light to moderate traffic, human voices).
• Standard office equipment generally used includes:
• Personal Computer (monitor, keyboard, and mouse) or Tablet
• Printer/Photocopy Machine
• Fax Machine
• May be required to operate a motor vehicle during the course of duties.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu by submitting: the completed online application, submit a cover letter, resume, three professional references.
Contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.