Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Monitor system and network operations for signs of suspicious or detrimental activity.
• Investigate information security incidents to determine the cause and extent of the incident, and to make recommendations to mitigate the likelihood of similar future incidents.
• Stay abreast of current and evolving technologies and practices aimed at preventing attacks on the NSPARC research environment, and make recommendations for adoption of such technologies and best practices.
• Stay abreast of new and evolving IT security issues, as well as legal, ethical, and social issues related to the operation and use of networked information systems at a high research university center.
• Create informational activities and campaigns, including NSPARC’s cybersecurity awareness training, aimed at educating staff about cybersecurity threats as well as appropriate safeguards and measures to guard against becoming a victim.
• Use tools of the trade to perform ongoing vulnerability assessments of NSPARC systems and networks to determine weaknesses and design remediation strategies for discovered vulnerabilities to mitigate risk.
• Prepare reports for the senior NSPARC management providing insight into and measuring the effectiveness of NSPARC’s information security posture.
• Assist the Security and Compliance Manager in preparing and documenting information security plans, policies, and procedures.
• Work comfortably in both Windows and Linux environments.
• Work closely with software development personnel to support their efforts and perform joint tuning or troubleshooting.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree and at least 2 years of relevant experience in computer systems-related work.
• Experience with both Windows and Linux security administration.
• Experience with using Linux/Unix (e.g., Red Hat or CentOS) command line interface (CLI).
• Demonstrated ability to write Linux scripts.
• Experience securing virtual servers and virtual desktops (VDIs).
• Experience with evaluating and creating security requirements at the OS level (e.g., Linux, Java, Windows Server).
• Familiarity with securing servers for disaster recovery and failover in virtual environments.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently, analyze data, solve problems, and prioritize and organize work to achieve stated goals.
• Understanding of ports, protocols, and CLI tools (e.g., arp, ipconfig, netstat, nbtstat, ping, tracert, etc)
• Ability to demonstrate skills in the above required areas without external documentation.
• Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related discipline or BS degree and at least 4 years of experience securing the infrastructure of a multi-platform IT networked environment
• Substantial experience with Network and Application security
• Experience with disaster recovery/business continuity
• Experience with industry-standard SEIM, Vulnerability Management, Application Security solutions (e.g., Splunk, Nexpose, Arcsight)
• Hands-on experience securing VMWare servers and system software.
• Experience with Atlassian software systems (e.g., Bamboo, Fisheye, etc.)
• Experience with identifying and remediating security vulnerabilities in both systems software (Linux, Windows, Database software, backup systems, etc.) and network equipment (Switches, Firewalls, etc.)
• Experience maintaining firewall and VPN rule sets.
• Experience with cyber security appliances and applications, such as A/V, encryption, and file security packages
• At least one of the following certifications: CISSP, GSEC, Security+, Network+, A+, CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner, CCNA, VCP, or equivalent
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
Regularly involves lifting, bending or physical exertion. Often exposed to one or more elements such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, chemicals, etc., with one often to the point of being objectionable. Injuries may require professional treatment.
Routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor.
Job frequently requires standing, walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 50 pounds. Job occasionally requires climbing or balancing, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting more than 100 pounds.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Position contingent upon funding availability.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants should complete online application and upload a cover letter and current resume. Applicants should also submit two letters of recommendation and an official transcript for highest degree (provide English translation if necessary).
Address all supporting materials and reference letters to:
Chair, Systems Analyst (Security) Selection Committee
National Strategic Planning & Analysis Research Center
P.O. Box 6027
Mississippi State, MS 39762
Please email all queries to: email@example.com
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.