Job no: 495984
Position type: Full-Time 12-Month
Department: 185450 - CVM LARAC
Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS
Categories: Support Staff
Position Open Date:
Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise and coordinate the work of the Animal Attendants and Technician I's.
- Perform complex animal care tasks with research animals in accordance with standards.
- Assure that animal environment is in compliance with Animal Welfare Act and other applicable regulations.
- Collect, deliver and maintain all records on animal census, health, services, and project descriptions in compliance with standard practices.
- Inspect, evaluate, and quarantine newly arrived animals and make appropriate health checks during quarantine period.
- Responsible for the accuracy of all records completed and submitted by animal care personnel.
- Perform bacteriological culturing and animal inoculation.
- Assist veterinarians with surgeries and post mortem examinations.
- Prepare surgical areas for aseptic surgical procedures.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
High School diploma or equivalent with four years experience caring for animals in a dairy, veterinary clinic, research institution, or related environment.
Certification as a Lab Animal Technician by the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science with two years experience caring for animals in a dairy, veterinary clinic, research institution, or related environment.
Bachelor's degree in Animal or Biological Science or related field with no experience.
Must successfully pass the Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician certification examination by the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science within one year of employment. The person accepting the position must be willing and able to become vaccinated against diseases such as rabies, tetanus, and influenza.
Bachelors degree in animal science or related field. Prior work experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
The applicant will be required to work closely with faculty, staff, and students to fulfill the goals of patient care, client service, and the education of students in professional Doctor of Veterinary Medicine and Bachelor of Science Veterinary Medical Technology programs.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
Ability to work with flexible schedule.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu. Please include cover letter and resume.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend