Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
The ASE department offers an enriching undergraduate program leading to a Bachelor of Science degree, as well as challenging and exciting graduate programs leading to the Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy degrees. Aerospace engineers are primarily focused on the design, fabrication, testing, and analysis of aircraft and spacecraft. A large fraction of the faculty have been recognized for excellence in teaching, which leads to very rewarding in-class experiences. In addition, our students benefit from experiential learning opportunities afforded through participation in ASE’s highly successful multidisciplinary student design teams, co-operative education program, summer industry internships, and challenging undergraduate research programs
Area of Specialization:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Consult with faculty members and research personnel to establish plans, objectives, and timetables in order to accomplish laboratory projects.
2. Coordinate the work of research technicians and student employees in support of multiple research projects.
3. Design, fabricate, assemble and test various mechanical equipment and devices.
4. Instruct laboratory personnel in the use of diagnostic instruments, hand and power tools, welding equipment, machine shop and woodworking equipment, and other laboratory equipment.
5. Operate laboratory equipment to collect research data; analyze data and prepare reports related to findings.
6. Calibrate and repair laboratory equipment and devices.
7. Maintain records of time devoted to each research project.
8. Procure supplies and equipment necessary for lab operations; write specifications as required.
9. Maintain departmental vehicles in proper condition.
10. Perform related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, mechanical engineering technology or related field
- or -
Associate’s degree in engineering, engineering technology or related field with two (2) years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities listed
- or –
High school diploma and four (4) years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities listed
Any equivalent combination of related experience and/or education approved by MSU's Department of Human Resources Management.
Two to five years of practical, hands-on experience setting up equipment, diagnosing and correcting mechanical problems, and maintenance of equipment with 4+ years hands-on experience with CNC machines.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Experience with personal computers and common software.
Experience with woodworking and machine shop tools, including CNC tools.
Experience working with CAD/CAM and CNC programming.
Willing and self-motivated to learn the operations of new scientific equipment.
Ability to be flexible and adaptable in changing situations.
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are needed to effectively communicate with students and faculty.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
Regularly involves lifting, bending or other physical exertion. Often exposed to one or more elements such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, chemicals, etc.
Occasional routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; travel or other inconveniences have advance notice; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor;
Job frequently requires standing, walking, reaching, climbing, or balancing, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 25 pounds.
Job occasionally requires sitting, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, and lifting more than 100 pounds.
Vision Requirement: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Interested parties must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu and attach a cover letter and resume that includes information for at least three references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.