Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following examples are intended as illustrations only of the various types of duties assigned in positions allocated to this classification. The absence of specific statements of duties does not exclude those tasks from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment of the position.
1. Performs management level responsibilities involving the assignment and direct supervision of custodial supervisors/employees in maintain cleanliness and sanitation as follows: building interiors, offices, classrooms, fitness centers, laboratories, furnishings and equipment, building entrances and exterior walkways.
2. Establish unit work plans and general work planning tasks.
3. Responsible for training new employees in proper custodial procedures for the use of manually operated tools, electrically-powered machines, cleaning compounds, solvents and chemicals.
4. Requisition supplies and equipment for custodial use.
5. Maintain records and submit reports concerning personnel, equipment, supplies expenses and general housekeeping activities.
6. Monitor and assist with preparation of custodial budget.
7. Interview and recommend applicants for custodial positions.
8. Conduct performance reviews with custodial staff including the establishment of performance standards and ensuring standards are met.
9. Supervise work crews in set-ups for special projects or events.
10. Confer with university departments to coordinate building cleaning standards.
11. Attend specified University sponsored events and meetings.
12. Ability to work flexible hours and weekends.
13. Perform related duties as assigned.
The above essential duties are representative of major duties of positions in this position.
Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs. Other duties may be assigned to the above consistent with the knowledge, skills and abilities required for the job.
Received: Reports to Associate Director of Facilities Management.
Given: Supervises all the work of permanent and contract employees including Custodial Supervisors.
Bachelor's degree with 5-7 years of managerial experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:• Strong management skills in relation to planning and organizing
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills
• Ability to train new employees and supervise staff
• Proficient in Excel, PowerPoint and Word
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
Regularly involves lifting, bending or other physical exertion. Often exposed to one or more elements such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, chemicals, etc.
Routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; travel or other inconveniences have advance notice; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor.
Job frequently requires standing, walking, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 25 pounds.
Job occasionally requires sitting, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting more than 100 pounds.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
All Applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.edu and complete a Professional Staff Application and provide a cover letter and resume
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.