Financial Aid Counselor
Job no: 496548
Position type: Full-Time 12-Month
Department: 410600 - Financial Aid
Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS
Position Open Date:
Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
Area of Specialization:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide financial aid counseling to students and parents on the financial aid programs and application processes with concentration on the Federal Direct Loan and Alternative Loan programs.
- Review financial aid information, including electronic data and reports, to determine the loan eligibility of student applicants.
- Award and originate Federal Direct Student loans to eligible student applicants.
- Receive and send student loan data for processing through the data transmission systems, Edconnect and ELM.
- Keep abreast of the state, federal, and institutional rules and regulations applicable to the administration of the student loan programs.
- Prepare data for correspondence, including letters, emails, and other documents used to communicate with students and parents on the student loan programs.
- Assist in the development and revision of the procedures for administering the student loan programs.
- Participate in student orientation and financial aid presentation events.
- Participate in staff development and financial aid training events.
- Perform other related tasks as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree in a business related field.
At least 2 or more years of work experience in business or a higher education environment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong, verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability to learn, interpret and apply complex federal financial aid regulations.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people.
- Ability to utilize computer skills in an automated work environment.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
- No or very limited physical effort required.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online at http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu and attach a cover letter, current resume or curriculum vitae, and the complete contact information for at least three professional references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Advertised: Central Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend