Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
Coastal Research and Extension Center (CREC) serves as Mississippi State University's "southern exposure" linking residents of the coastal region to the university. A description of the Coastal Research and Extension Center is available at http://coastal.msstate.edu/. This position will be at CREC Experimental Seafood Processing Laboratory in Pascagoula, MS.
Area of Specialization:
Food Safety and Post Harvest Technology
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Plans, coordinates, and conducts scientific research requiring judgment in the independent evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard scientific techniques.
2. Prepare research proposals to procure funding from a variety of sources including national competitive research programs.
3. Prepare documents to secure method validations for the analyses of pathogens in oysters, other seafood and food products, and prepare laboratories for the certification by an appropriate authority or official body.
4. Applies an analytical approach to the solution of a wide variety of problems, or applies specialized techniques or ingenuity in selecting and evaluating approaches to unforeseen or novel problems.
5. Demonstrates and applies thorough understanding of scientific methods, research protocols, assessment instruments, and data interpretation.
6. Designs, performs, and/or oversees experiments and data collection to ensure data integrity, quality control, and protocol compliance.
7. Collects, analyzes, and interprets data; prepares statistical and narrative reports and/or graphs, as appropriate to the specific position; prepares manuscripts for publication; presents research results to scientific conferences and other groups.
8. Independently performs most research assignments with instructions as to the general results expected; receives guidance on unusual or complex problems.
9. Implement proper protocols by users, and care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
10. Maintains currency of knowledge with respect to relevant state-of-the-art technology, equipment, and/or systems.
11. May lead, guide, and train staff/student employees, interns, and/or volunteers performing related work; may participate in the recruitment of volunteers, as appropriate to the area of operation.
12. Interact with the food industries to provide technical support as needed.
13 Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
1. Bachelors in food science or food microbiology.
2. Food industry experience.
3. Experience in participating in proposal writing for a competitive grant program.
1. Preferred: Ph.D. in food science or food microbiology.
2. Will consider Ph.D. candidates with a target completion date within three months of employment.
3. A degree in radiation biology.
4. Managed food processing plant using GMP and HACCP policies and has successful experience in preparing a laboratory for certification by an official body such as the International Standards of Operation (ISO) or FDA approving bodies.
5. Has performed and published refereed research using X-ray irradiation to eliminate pathogens in seafood and other related foods.
6. Rank and salary will be commensurate with the education and/or experience of the candidate
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
The individual should be self-motivated, fit well in a multidisciplinary team environment, and exhibit excellent oral and written communication skills. Successful applicant should have ability to coordinate large projects under difficult conditions as well publish in the peer-reviewed literature.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
Ability to work in extreme conditions including but not limited to high temperatures and high humidity. This position will require some heavy physical work; heavy lifting, pushing, or pulling required of objects up to 50 pounds
Position is contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Instructions for Applying:
Submit a cover letter, vitae, statement of research, copy of your transcripts. Also send three letters of recommendation (sent separately by your references) to:
Mary Dikes, Mississippi State University, 1815 Popps Ferry Road, Biloxi, MS 39532.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.