Director, User Services
Job no: 496765
Position type: Full-Time 12-Month
Department: 460200 - User Services
Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS
Position Open Date:
Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with ITS and University leadership to determine the overall strategic direction of information technology at MSU.
- Work closely with the Chief Information Officer and the other ITS Directors including Information Technology Infrastructure and Enterprise Information Systems.
- Maintain highest level of knowledge of information technology best practices and trends.
- Investigate and recommend new technologies to support the learning, research, and service missions of the University.
- Foster communication and interaction with students, faculty, and staff to ensure ongoing alignment of ITS and University priorities.
- Work closely with other ITS units to manage customer relations, optimize customer satisfaction, and maintain superior customer service standards and practices.
- Recommend and implement policies and procedures related to the use of information technology resources.
- Establish and maintain good vendor relationships.
- Represent the University, as appropriate, on industry panels and advisory boards.
- Negotiate application software maintenance/services agreements for User Services software systems.
- Organize operational priorities for User Services and translate those priorities into appropriate staff resources and task assignments.
- Provide financial oversight, resource management, and quality assurance for project and operations led by the unit.
- Manage and provide leadership to User Services staff.
- Manage the User Services budget.
- Supervise all aspects of personnel action for User Services including filling of vacant positions, performance reviews, and staff assignments.
- Promote career professional development for User Services staff.
- Prepare reports and conduct presentations for the Chief Information Officer and other University administrators as required.
- Plan, supervise, and manage the activities and resources of the User Services department.
- Stay abreast of evolving information technologies and their applicability to the higher education environment in general and Mississippi State University's environment in particular.
- Supervise the unit leaders of the Help Desk, Desktop Services, User Training and Support, Campus Card Office, and Meridian User Support.
- Meet regularly with other campus departments to discuss departmental information technology requirements.
- Coordinate the creation, maintenance, and dissemination of information about the services of ITS. This includes brochures, newsletters, user documentation, and the ITS website.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in information technology or related field
8 years' work experience with information technology, of which 4 or more years of that experience is management/supervisory experience over an information technology support staff.
- Experience with and understanding of distance learning technologies.
- Experience with an IT Service Management (ITSM) system.
- Experience in providing end-user desktop support.
- Experience in providing or supervising information technology training to end users.
- Work experience in a land grant university IT organization and an appreciation for the multiple missions and roles of such an institution.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with Microsoft Windows and/or Mac OS.
- Proficiency with a variety of computer application software packages.
- Good understanding of the applications of information technology in a university environment.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate and work with senior management and staff.
- Demonstrated personal initiative and professionalism including excellent interpersonal, organization, and communication skills.
- Passion for delivering exemplary customer service.
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- No unusual physical requirements. Requires limited lifting of files and records and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
- Frequent external imposed deadlines, set and revised beyond one's control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position; involves conflict-resolution or similar interactions involving emotional issues or stress on a regular basis.
- Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands.
- Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu. Please attach a cover letter, resume, and the names and addresses of 3 professional references.
We will accept applications only from persons with indefinite employment authorization in the U.S., and will not sponsor for nonimmigrant or immigrant status for this position.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Advertised: Central Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend