Senior Programmer Analyst
Job no: 497494
Position type: Full-Time 12-Month
Department: 460100 - Enterprise Information Systems
Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS
Position Open Date:
Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assumes lead analyst role for small applications or assume subsystem responsibility for major applications.
- Stays abreast of the latest trends and developments in information technology and make recommendations as appropriate.
- Evaluates and establishes priorities to meet desired goals.
- Works independently under overall project objective and requirements.
- Analyzes technical and functional application specifications.
- Designs program logic to meet technical and functional specifications.
- Establishes database and file requirements.
- Designs, codes, and tests application software, as well as modify existing software to reflect changes in system or application requirements.
- Codes efficiently adhering to established programming standards.
- Prepares and maintains quality documentation to manage program development and revisions.
- Completes assigned tasks, meeting deadlines.
- Performs problem determination and analysis.
- Responds to and solves problems.
- Prepare instructions and user documentation.
- Modify programs to increase operating efficiency.
- Respond to changes in work processes.
- Prepare test data and validate software for accuracy.
- Be available weekends and nights for performance of duties, including periodic on-call responsibilities.
- Establish and maintain effective communications with clients and ITS staff.
- Be supportive and understanding with clients.
- Demonstrate good work ethics.
- Train new employees and provide technical assistance to junior staff members.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Computer Engineering, or a related area.
Two years' full-time work experience developing and implementing information systems.
Substitution allowed for Education: 4 years of full-time work experience in information systems or any equivalent combination of education and full-time work experience in information systems.
Substitution allowed for Experience: Master's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Computer Engineering, or related area may substitute for 1 year of experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of Unix, strong programming skills, experience with a relational database management system (preferably Oracle), and demonstrated ability to assume responsibility for supporting multiple systems.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to plan and organize, personal initiative, demonstrated ability to perform with professionalism and produce quality, reliable results.
- Other Desirable Qualifications: Previous experience with data modeling and/or developing systems in a Unix/Oracle environment using any or all of the following: C, Java, SQL, XML.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- Sitting: required to be able to sit for long periods of time, as typical days will involve sitting at a PC or workstation or sitting in meetings.
- Dexterity and visual acuity: required to be able to use computer screens and keyboards.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu and attach a cover letter, resume, and the names and addresses of 3 professional references.
We will accept applications only from persons with indefinite employment authorization in the U.S., and will not sponsor for nonimmigrant or immigrant status for this position.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend