Job no: 498123
Position type: Full-Time 12-Month
Department: 013900 - Prairie Research Unit
Location: Monroe County
Categories: Support Staff
Position Open Date:
Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
Prairie Research Unit is a branch of the North Mississippi Research and Extension Center, which exists to serve the needs of agriculture in northeastern Mississippi. It is a part of the Division of Agriculture, Forestry, and Veterinary Medicine of Mississippi State University (MSU), the State’s Land Grant Institution.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following examples are intended as illustrations only of the various types of duties assigned in positions allocated to this classification. The absence of specific statements of duties does not exclude those tasks from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment of the position.
1. Assists faculty, staff, and/or students with research and/or projects
2. Maintains accurate and timely records related to farm and research operations.
3. Operates farm equipment.
4. Assists with cattle handling and care to include feeding and herd health tasks.
5. Assists with land preparation, planting, cultivating, fertilizing, applying herbicide, and harvesting of crops to include hay and pastures.
6. Performs general maintenance and upgrades of facilities to include fences, cattle handling facilities, and cattle water supply systems.
7. Assists with cleaning and servicing vehicles and equipment.
8. Assists with building cleaning, lawn care, and facilities appearance upkeep.
9. Collects research samples such as forages, feeds, blood, etc., and prepare for laboratory analysis.
10. Assists in oversight of temporary and student workers as assigned.
11. Performs related duties as assigned.
1. Bachelors degree in an agricultural, biological sciences or related field.
2. Two years of post-secondary training in an agricultural related field and two years of field work experience including livestock and forage production field work experience.
3. High school education or equivalent plus four years of livestock and forage production field work experience.
Additional Desirable Qualifications
1. Field and laboratory work experience beyond the minimum required.
2. Must have a valid driver’s license.
3. Previous experience operating farm equipment.
4. Desire to seek further educational degrees closely related to the scope of work.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Working knowledge of farm equipment operation
Skilled at animal husbandry to include low-stress cattle handling and care
Ability to follow research protocol specifications
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
1. Ability to work in extreme weather conditions.
2. Requires heavy physical work; heavy lifting, pushing, or pulling required of objects up to 50 pounds.
3. Will operate and work in close proximity with heavy farm equipment.
4. Contact with herbicides and pesticides is frequent.
Instructions for Applying:
Upload a cover letter, current resume, list of three professional references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Advertised: Central Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend