Salary Grade: 11
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
The Department of Housing and Residence Life strives to create a "home away from home" where students are individually and collectively challenged and supported in the journey to become mature, contributing citizens in a global community.
In support of the mission of Mississippi State University and the Division of Student Affairs, the Department of Housing and Residence Life cultivates an on-campus environment that promotes student success, engages students through intentional interactions, and challenges them to learn and grow beyond the classroom.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in operating, repairing, and installing basic security and specialty systems such as automatic door systems and smoke detectors.
- Assist in disassembling, cleaning, repairing, and reassembling a variety of security equipment following established procedure.
- Be knowledgeable of and comply with all safety and electrical codes. Assist with inspecting assigned jobs for compliance to the NEC and University standards.
- Provide assistance to Electricians as needed.
- Responsible for working after hours and weekends in the absence of the Security Systems Technician.
- Maintain and keep security systems in operation in the absence of Security Systems Technician.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. One year of related experience.
3. Valid driver’s license.
4. Ability to work flexible schedule including evenings and weekends, including periodic standby.
5. Thorough knowledge of methods, materials, tools, equipment, occupational hazards, and safety precautions of the trade.
6. Ability to exercise tact and discretion with customers and the public.
7. Ability to move, lift or carry up and occasionally over 75 lbs.
Any equivalent combination of related experience and/or education approved by the Department of Human Resources Management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Ability to work flexible schedule including evenings and weekends.
2. Thorough knowledge of methods, materials, tools, equipment, occupational hazards, and safety precautions of the trade.
3. Ability to exercise tact and discretion with customers and the public.
4. Ability to move, lift or carry up and occasionally over 75 lbs.
5. Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• Frequent - externally imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one's control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; irregular and extended hours may be anticipated, including nights and weekends; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position.
• Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands.
• Job requires standing, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting up to twenty-five (25) pounds.
• Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
• Hearing requirements: heavy phone contact requires ability to hear and respond to telephone conversations.
Instructions for Applying:
Submit application and any requested documents online.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.