Salary Grade: 12
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following examples are intended as illustrations only of the various types of duties and responsibilities assigned to the Computer Electronics Technician position. The absence of specific statements of duties and responsibilities does not exclude those tasks from this position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment of this position:
1. Manages and/or resolves clients’ information technology hardware problems and issues:
a. Monitors appropriate queue for tickets assigned.
b. Communicates with superiors regarding issues and problems in the field.
c. Regularly communicates with clients regarding problems and/or issues.
d. Troubleshoots and resolves problems efficiently and in a timely manner which may require working beyond the normally scheduled work hours.
2. Provide additional support material to MSU clients as required:
a. Identifies service alternatives.
b. Provides contact and shipping information for third party or manufacturer repair.
3. Installation and troubleshooting of Windows and Macintosh operating systems when diagnosing hardware issues.
4. Provide recommendations and alternatives to clients for computer hardware upgrades/replacements.
a. Work with clients to provide cost estimates for replacement or upgrade of hardware.
5. Remains current on information technology issues related to hardware and OS platforms across the campus computing environment and provides information and assistance to clients and colleagues with new information technology hardware acquisitions.
a. Reads IT related publications (publications or Web delivered).
b. Stays current with new or new versions of technology and shares this information with clients and colleagues.
6. Provide good customer service.
7. Basic understanding and use of hardware and OS diagnostic software.
8. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Associate's degree in Information Technology or a related field
Two years of related work experience.
Working knowledge of Windows-based computer operating systems.
Valid driver's license.
Ability to lift up to and occasionally over 75 lbs.
Any equivalent combination of related experience and/or education approved by Human Resources Management.
• Working knowledge of Apple OS and systems hardware.
• Working knowledge of Windows OS and PC systems hardware.
• Familiarity with the specification and procurement process for all components required for PC/Apple upgrades and repairs.
• Certifications and/or ability to complete training for Apple Authorized Service Technician and Dell Certified Technician.
• Good interpersonal and customer service skills.
• Ability to concentrate/focus for long periods of time.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks throughout the day with minimum supervision.
• Familiar with using software and hardware diagnostic tools to analyze hardware and software issues.
• Ability to initiate new tasks after an assigned task has been completed or passed on with minimum supervision.
• Ability to learn new technologies.
• Familiar with installation and support of PC and/or Apple OS/application software.
• Good oral and written communication skills.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• This position requires driving MSU vehicles to pick up and deliver equipment. Applicant must have a valid driver’s license
• Experience with multiple versions of Windows and Mac operating systems.
• Analytical skills to troubleshoot operating system problems in order to isolate hardware issues.
• Initiative to learn the latest updates, service packs, and/or operating versions.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• May require occasional overtime.
• May require exposure to high voltage equipment.
• Occasional lifting of heavy equipment <=30 lbs.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu by attaching a cover letter and resume which includes the names and addresses of 3 professional references. We will accept applications only from persons with indefinite employment authorization in the U.S., and will not sponsor for nonimmigrant or immigrant status for this position.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.