Department: North Mississippi Research and Extension Center
Engineering Technician with the North Mississippi Research and Extension Center at Mississippi State University. To perform mechanical and electrical repairs on all equipment related to agricultural operations. To set-up, operate, repair and calibrate machine tools; to make, repair, fit equipment mechanisms, devices, precision components and diagnostic
Salary Grade: 12
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
The North Mississippi Research and Extension Center (NMREC) is one of four Research and Extension Centers in the MSU System. The NMREC is located in Verona, MS
Area of Specialization:
Row Crop Research Support
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Perform mechanical and electrical repairs on all equipment such as tractors, sprayers, tillage equipment, backhoe, vehicles, forklifts, combines, cotton pickers, cotton module builder, bushhogs, fertilizers, and planters.
2. To set-up, operate, repair and calibrate machine tools to make, repair, fit and assess
mechanisms, devices, precision components and diagnostic equipment.
3. Troubleshoot and perform maintenance on precision plot planter and plot combine along with updating and operating the software that is required to operate the planter and combine.
4. Troubleshoot and perform maintenance on John Deere’s GreenStar RTK guidance system which includes monitors and receivers. Update system software when updates become available.
5. Perform metal fabrication to create or improve implements such as sprayers or tillage machinery that may be needed to conduct research.
6. Install, troubleshoot, and perform routine and preventive maintenance on pumps, generators, freezers, heaters, fans, ice-machines, incubators and other items that are needed to conduct research.
7. Troubleshoot and repair along with preventive and routine maintenance on all small engines used on tillers, mowers, etc. and engines in vehicles, tractors, combines, etc.
8. Maintain safety and housekeeping standards in the lab area.
9. Coordinate inventory of equipment with inventory manager.
10. When appropriate prepare reports documenting activities
Three years of experience performing technical maintenance duties. Previous experience in Agriculture or Shop Operations.
An equivalent combination of education and/or experience approved by Human Resources Management.
Additional experience beyond the minimum of practical, hands-on experience setting up equipment, diagnosing mechanical problems, and maintenance of equipment with experience operating machines. Experience with personal computers and common software; be willing and learn the operations of new scientific equipment; be flexible and adaptable; and enjoy assignment each day. Individual should possess excellent communication skills.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Regularly involves lifting, bending or other physical exertion. Regularly exposed to one or more elements such as heat, cold, noise, dirt, chemicals, etc.
Job frequently requires walking, standing, lifting, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, and handling objects with hands.
Requires handling of heavy weight objects up to 60lbs.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Applications must be submitted online at https://www.jobs.msstate.edu by completing the support staff application and submitting a resume and 3 professional references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.