Mississippi State University is looking for a highly motivated and self-driven candidate with strong background in machine learning, geospatial data analysis, and algorithm development for the position of Research Assistant Professor in the Geosystems Research Institute (GRI). The selected candidate will be responsible for conducting research and executing tasks as specified in active GRI projects. The candidate is expected to focus on remote sensing in the context of geospatial data, UAS based sensing applications, particularly soil moisture estimation. The candidate is expected to work closely with faculty from the Electrical and Computer Engineering department as well as faculty and researchers in GRI. Fundamental and innovative approaches to the design and validation of microwave techniques for agricultural and geospatial studies are expected to be studied.
Salary Grade: UC
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop improved decision support tools and technologies based on UAS-based remote sensing data to improve yield, water use efficiency, as well as environmental quality.
- Research, develop, and implement algorithms for various machine learning tasks; quantify the performance capabilities and limitations of algorithms for specific tasks.
- Interact with various geospatial data types, formats, and structures for algorithm training and testing; perform any data science studies as needed.
- Conduct and help field campaigns when needed.
- Preparation of technical papers and reports to publish research results in public forums and the archival literature.
- Applicants must have a Ph.D. in Electrical and Computer Engineering, or closely related field and must have a minimum of three-years postgraduate research experience.
- Experience in the application of machine learning techniques to remotely sensed data.
- Background in Global Navigation Satellite System Reflectometry.
- Familiarity with UAS and UAS operations
- Familiarity with NASA’s MODIS, CYGNSS, and SMAP datasets.
- Background in advanced signal processing and algorithm development.
- Expertise in designing and validating machine learning algorithms.
- Demonstrated research and analytical skills, as well as proficient reasoning skills in experimental design and interpretation.
- Record of high-quality research publications in referred journals and conference proceedings.
- Demonstrated ability to work within multidisciplinary teams.
- Programming experience in C++, Python, and MATLAB.
Instructions for Applying:
Apply online by submitting a cover letter, resume, and a copy of your transcript(s). Any social security numbers included on the requested transcripts should be redacted prior to submitting online.
Position is contingent upon continued funding availability.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.