Engineering Technician with the Prairie Research Unit. To perform mechanical and electrical repairs on all equipment related to agricultural operations. This position will support beef cattle operations as well as maintenance operations. Employee should be able to perform work independently within established methods and procedures. The individual must demonstrate interest, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude for carrying out the goals of the unit and must be able to work cooperatively with other team members and persons of various disciplines. This is a position at the North Mississippi Research and Extension Center Prairie Research Unit in Prairie, Mississippi.
Salary Grade: 12
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Prairie Research Unit is a MAFES branch of the North Mississippi Research and Extension Center, which exists to serve the needs of agriculture in northeastern Mississippi. It is a part of the Division of Agriculture, Forestry, and Veterinary Medicine of Mississippi State University (MSU), the State’s Land Grant Institution.
Area of Specialization:
Beef Cattle Operations
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assists with the general management and operation of facilities to include maintenance management, facilities operation, custodial operations, ground maintenance, environmental compliance, and safety emphasis.
2. Supports the maintenance of facilities, buildings, and equipment, as appropriate, to ensure optimum functionality; identifies, assesses, and resolves facilities maintenance concerns.
3. Works with outside vendors, and assists with facilities improvements, as appropriate to the position.
4. Carries out fleet duties for vehicles, equipment, and other station resources to including vehicle and tractor maintenance and scheduled services and repairs and fleet and fuel reporting completion.
5. Assists with property inventory control and monitoring of facilities related spending (non-research).
6. Operates farm equipment.
7. Assists with cattle handling and care to include feeding and herd health tasks.
8. Assists with land preparation, planting, cultivating, fertilizing, applying herbicide, and harvesting of crops to include hay and pastures.
9. Performs general maintenance and upgrades of facilities to include fences, cattle handling facilities, and cattle water supply systems.
10. Assists with cleaning and servicing vehicles and equipment.
11. Assists with building cleaning, lawn care, and facilities appearance upkeep.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
Three years of experience performing technical maintenance duties. Previous experience in agricultural facilities or maintenance shop operations
Experience with agricultural operations, specifically beef cattle operations.
An equivalent combination of education and/or experience approved by Human Resources Management.
Additional experience beyond the minimum of practical, hands-on experience maintaining equipment, diagnosing mechanical problems, and maintaining facilities. Experience with personal computers and common software; be willing and learn the operations of new scientific equipment; be flexible and adaptable; and enjoy assignment each day. Individual should possess excellent communication skills.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Working knowledge of farm equipment operation
Skilled at animal husbandry to include low-stress cattle handling and care
Ability to follow research protocol specifications
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Regularly involves lifting, bending or other physical exertion. Regularly exposed to one or more elements such as heat, cold, noise, dirt, chemicals, etc.
Job frequently requires walking, standing, lifting, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, and handling objects with hands.
Requires handling of heavy weight objects up to 60lbs.
Instructions for Applying:
Applications must be submitted online at https://www.jobs.msstate.edu by completing the support staff application and submitting a resume and 3 professional references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.