The Geosystems Research Institute (GRI) at Mississippi State University (MSU) seeks visiting professors to assist MSU in advancing agricultural research through high performance computing (HPC). We are seeking international research / thought leaders. Visits of periods of 3 months to 2 years is envisioned. Research projects and collaboration with USDA/ARS scientists focus on multidisciplinary projects involving big data, data science, uncrewed aerial systems, spatial epidemiology, disease ecology, molecular epidemiology, landscape analysis, agroecology, artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning (ML), and bioinformatics.
Visiting professors will have access to high performance computing (HPC) for complex data analysis, modeling and machine learning. Computational tools need to run optimally in an HPC environment, which requires specialized development. All of this needs to be developed and put into place with training for proper analysis. Clear examples are development and use of new statistical and image analysis tools for georeferenced agricultural data related to agricultural operations, utilization of blockchain technology for agricultural data integrity and management, integrated analysis of agricultural systems at multiple scales spanning cells, organisms, communities and interactions with environment.
Salary Grade: UC
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Tenure Track Status:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Initiate, develop, or advance a research program focused on advancing agricultural research through high performance computing (HPC).
• Dissemination knowledge and technology.
• Publish in peer-reviewed journals.
• Present research and extension achievements at conferences and workshops, from regional to international.
• Ph.D. in an area that supports developing a research program focused on advancing agricultural research through high performance computing (HPC).
• Demonstrated ability to disseminate knowledge in archival journals as lead author.
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate with USDA ARS scientists.
ABDs or degree pending considered (all but DISS):
• A national recognition as a leading scientist.
• Demonstrated abilities in exploiting HPC and advancing data science.
• Demonstrated leadership skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work within multidisciplinary teams.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Apply online by submitting a cover letter, resume, and a copy of your transcript(s). Any social security numbers included on requested transcripts should be redacted prior to submitting online.
Position is contingent upon funding availability.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.