The position functions as the department head and a full professor for the Department of Aerospace Engineering. The Department Head, who reports to the Dean of Bagley College of Engineering, is responsible for the overall administration of the department, and is expected to be a dynamic and collaborative leader working closely with the Dean, faculty, and staff to promote the department and the college missions. This position also holds the Bill and Carolyn Cobb endowed chair in Bagley College of Engineering.
Salary Grade: UC
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
The Department of Aerospace Engineering (http://www.ae.msstate.edu) was established in 1932 and provides undergraduate (aeronautics and astronautics) and graduate programs. The department has eleven tenure-track/tenured faculty positions and five full-time non-tenured faculty positions. With over 400 undergraduate and over 50 graduate students, the department offers BS (ABET-accredited), MS, and PhD degrees.
The ASE is actively engaged in research at the state-of-the-art research centers, including the Raspet Flight Research Laboratory (Raspet, http://www.raspet.msstate.edu), the Center for Advanced Vehicular Systems (CAVS, http://www.cavs.msstate.edu), and the Marvin B. Dow Advanced Composites Institute (ACI, https://www.aci.msstate.edu). ASE is also actively involved with the FAA center of excellence known as the Alliance for System Safety of UAS through Research Excellence (ASSURE, www.assureuas.org), for which MSU is the lead organization. In addition to these research facilities and capabilities, ASE has a new subsonic wind tunnel, composites fabrication capability, a fatigue and fracture test lab, and a light gas gun impact lab.
MSU, a Carnegie Foundation R1-Very High Research Activity Doctoral University, is a comprehensive public institution with more than 22,000 graduate and undergraduate students and nearly 1,500 fulltime faculty members, located in Starkville, Mississippi. The Bagley College of Engineering has an approximate enrollment of 4,200 undergraduate 700 graduate students and is one of eight colleges in the University. MSU is ranked 25-th in the NSF Higher Education R&D Survey in the research expenditures in Aerospace.
Area of Specialization:
Anticipated Appointment Date:
July 1, 2022
Tenure Track Status:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provides vision and leadership for nationally recognized education and research programs.
2. Provides leadership and mentoring to all faculty, staff, and students.
3. Responsible for overall administration of faculty and support staff activities.
4. Responsible for recruitment of a diverse community of students, faculty, and support staff.
5. Maintains and participates actively in ongoing departmental research program and seeks new areas of research funding.
6. Conducts research leading to scholarly publications.
7. Participates in fundraising activities, including solicitation of gifts for scholarships, professorships, chairs, etc.
8. Works with the Dean of the Bagley College of Engineering and university administration in establishing goals and objectives for the college, department, and in meeting the university missions of teaching, research, and service.
9. Serves as a liaison with faculty, administrators, alumni, students, and community.
10. Academic responsibilities include planning, reviewing, and updating the curriculum, academic programs, and course content.
11. Personnel responsibilities include promotion and tenure, performance evaluation, and workload management.
12. Fiscal responsibilities include preparing and overseeing departmental budget and other budgets for research funding.
Must have a Ph.D. in aerospace engineering or a closely related field. Must have earned national recognition by a distinguished record of accomplishments in aerospace engineering education and research, including evidence of teaching excellence at the undergraduate and graduate levels, a scholarly record of publications in archival literature, external funding, and conference presentations is required. Demonstrated administrative experience is desired. Must qualify for the rank of professor.
ABDs or degree pending considered (all but DISS):
1. Vision and leadership for a nationally recognized aerospace engineering education and research programs
2. Bachelor of science degree in engineering
3. A strong commitment to recruiting and developing a diverse community of faculty and students
4. Demonstrated leadership in obtaining and executing research grants and contracts with experience in both experimental and computational research
5. Knowledge and ability to conduct fund raising
6. Industrial outreach experience
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Applicants must apply online at https://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu by submitting a cover letter outlining your experience and vision for this position, a curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of at least three professional references. The position is available beginning July 1, 2022; other start dates are possible. Initial screening of candidates will begin January 1, 2022 and will continue until the position is filled. Inquiries and nominations should be directed to Dr. Samee U. Khan, Department Head of Electrical and Computer Engineering, and Search Committee Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org or 662-325-0167).
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.